When we consider android emulators, the first option is Google’s default Android Emulator available in the android-sdk. But on a normal computer (in my 4GB Ram, Core i3 3rd Gen Processor Laptop) it takes around 5 minute to boot and performance is very laggy. It becomes worse after starting android studio in case you are a developer. So I started looking for a faster yet stable android emulator for Linux.
Genymotion is the best android emulr Linux versator I have used so far. It is fast, simple and can be integrated into android studio without any additional configuration. If you are looking for an android emulator for android development or just want to run WhatsApp or something on your computer, Genymotion is the right choice. Genymotion is free for personal use and can be downloaded from their site after signup. If you want to use Genymotion for business use, try Desktop Edition For Business.
Your system must have Virtualbox virtual machine present in order to use Genymotion. If you don’t have Virtualbox download the setup for your Linux version from Virtualbox linux installation page. Install it and restart system to continue.
How To Install Genymotion In Ubuntu / Linux
- Go to this Genymotion website and make a free account.
- Login using your account and go to this download Page
Download the right version of the setup for your computer (Select correct architecture 32bit or 64bit. If you are not sure, then download 32 bit )
- The downloaded file will be of .bin extension. Linux wont allow to run a file that is downloaded from internet. You have to give the file executable privilege to run it. To do so, open terminalEither copy and paste your file to home or change terminal working directory by using ‘cd’ command.Type chmod +x file-name.bin where file-name is the name the downloaded file
- Now, The installation will be in progress. Complete the installation
- After the installation, You can start Genymotion from your launcher/Menu. If it is not present, then start the program manually from /home/you-user name/genymotion/genymotion (You may have to make this program executable using chmod)
- Now you should see the following loading screen
- Once loaded, You should see a login prompt. For login, use your previous username and password.
- Now it is time to add a new phone to this emulator. You can do this by Clicking on the Add (+) button.
- You should see a list of available emulators here. There you can find devices with almost all android versions you have heard of. Choose any one you want and click on Next. In the new window, you can set a name for your device. Click Next.
- Wait for the downloading and installing complete. After you complete your virtual device installation, you will see the device in your Virtual Device List. Then you can add any number of emulators you want. In my case, I have added 3 of them.
- Congratulations. You have successfully added an emulator. Now it is time to run it. Select the available emulator and click on start button. Then a message box will appear saying “Initializing virtual device”
- It will take a little while to complete the firdt boot. Be patient :-). Here is a screenshot of my emulator